Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mantras coming from my new found footing in "a good place"

The past few days have had me rising back to a good place. A very good place. I am so much more content than I have been in so long. I have realized some BIG things, had a few true revelations, and more than anything started taking care of me again.


I have come up with a couple new mantras in the past few days:

1.) "It is not my job."

This came to me as I was talking to a friend on mine. She is one of those people you would call a "leech." She takes and takes and never gives back. I was so frustrated: I was giving her the best advice I could and nothing was helping. Then it hit me, I am not her therapist: it is not my job to try to change her. Hell, it is not her therapist job to try to change her. (It is her therapist job to facilitate change, by the way.)
Suddenly I realized how often I do things because I feel obligated to, but they just aren't my job. It is not my job to make my sister happy. It is not my job to jump up everytime my roommate needs something. It is not my job to do what my mother thinks is best. It is not my job to save my friends. It is not my job to solve all the HR problems at Target. It is just not my job.

2.) "It will be okay."

I can thank my therapist for this one. We were discussing my panic over making decisions about school this semester. I referenced how scared I was that something would go wrong, and he said, "You know, you need to realize, It will be okay."
I have survived so much in my life. It wasn't okay that the things happened, but I am okay now. My sister died, it turned out okay. I totaled a car, it was okay. I totaled another car, it was okay. I got sick and had to go to the hospital, it was okay. No matter how horrible the thing seems, I can survive. Not to mention I will be so much happier if I stop the panic and realize "It will be okay."


0 comments: